2012年2月14日星期二

Corey Pavin beat Australian Peter Senior at the Allianz Championship on Sunday

"That actually was a once-in-a-lifetime shot," Pavin enthused afterwards.

"I can't think of much better up-and-down shot in my career. It isn't really like I practice turning 8-irons over thus hitting them left-handed. When that occurs, you imagine you are going to win, however were required to get that considered of my head."

Pavin and Senior had earlier each closed with final-round 71s to Ping K15 Hybrids complete tied to the lead with 11-under 205 totals.

Bernhard Langer (71) and Michael Allen (69) tied for third place, a shot before Jay Haas (69) and John Cook (69).

But defending champion Tom Lehman (71) finished well down the field in the tie for 31st.

Senior had forced case to venture to playoff together with his birdie for the 18th, but, to his consternation, his birdie attempt for the same hole inside the playoff stopped just inch short.

"I putted awful Ping G15 Hybrids throughout the day," Senior said. "I was thrilled to make last one to get involved with the playoff, however don't even think I've ever left countless putts short inside my life."

Calcavecchia, after being at 5-under during the day and seemingly headed for victory as he birdied the par-5 11th hole to take a three-shot lead over Pavin, inexplicably came apart in the seams as he bogeyed six of his last seven holes to finish tied for seventh after a 73.

"I felt decent (after playing 11 holes), I'll tell you just how," Calcavecchia recalled.

"But i then three-putted 12, got a negative discount golf clubs break at 13 then when I hit it within the green on 15, it pretty much did me in."

On his rare, game-saving chip, Pavin said he was only seeking the ball the hill nearby the green, so he could at the very least make a bogey that might cost him charge he was sharing with Calcavecchia, but would keep him strongly in contention.

"It was a one-in-a-million shot, but he pulled it off," Calcavecchia said. "Of course, it had been one out of a million I will bogey six in the last seven. This is the way it is going."
  

没有评论:

发表评论